Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Fight Like a Pirate

Pirate SwordI can't believe we haven't had any serious injuries from my kids fighting with all the different hard plastic swords that have appeared in our house. We've definitely had some bumps, welts, and scratches from them. Then we found these foam swords. They feel about like a pool noodle. You can whack a kid almost as hard as you can with one of these and get nothing but laughter. The first pair we bought lasted about 4 days before breaking in half. The second pair have gone 3 months because the kids don't completely abuse them. I think someone took a bite out of one.

1 comment:

WurdBendur said...

I know I'm responding to a really old post, so I hope you get this.

This is going to sound strange, so bear with me. >.>

I've seen these foam swords and I'm wondering about their construction. I assume they're solid foam, so they must be quite flexible. What I want to know is how they're put together, whether they're easily taken apart and modified, the reason being that I do foam sword fighting and people are always looking for cheap starter swords, so I'm wondering if it's worth pointing these out to them. They would need to have some kind of rigid core added to keep them from flexing too much (most people use PVC or fiberglass).
I also notice that the edges appear to be beveled. How thick are they along the edge? (could be a safety concern once they're made rigid)

Yes, it probably sounds weird, but these swords would be so much more cost effective than all the other alternatives and easier than building from scratch. And I can't find anybody else who actually owns any, so I hope you can help me.